Awareness is increasing on the possibility of individuals contaminated by industrial accidents and/or terrorist attacks bypassing the traditional emergency medical services (EMS) and self-presenting at a health care facility for treatment. These individuals present multiple risks including:
- Exposure of the health care workers that are providing care and treatment to the patient;
- Exposure of other patients at the hospital;
- Contamination of the healthcare facility itself;
- Spreading of the contamination away from the point of origin; and
- Financial risks in terms of the potential liability for the healthcare facility.
Regulatory GuidanceNIOSH is implementing new standards for approving respirators for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear protection (CBRN). The Bullard PA30PREP is not approved for CBRN.
In the context of an approved respirator assembly, canisters may hold NIOSH approvals for certain contaminants such as Organic Vapors, Acid Gases, Particulates, Ammonia, and others for which standards exist. Manufacturers of these same canisters may also claim protection against number of chemical warfare agents, but as soon as a healthcare facility subjects that cartridge to these chemical warfare agents (the real basis for their preparation), the NIOSH approval is voided on the respirator.
20SICVN DuPont™ Tychem® SL Hood
Dupont™ Tychem® is a registered Trademark of E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Company.